Coffee is an essential of life for most of us. It's how we wake up, get out the door, and remember our keys! Even so, the morning is a rough time, and even after a few sips of coffee, it's easy to spill a cup. Don't worry. Even if you haven't fully woken up yet, you can still save your carpet. Remember this above all else: If you are a frequent coffee drinker, be sure to have the secret stain fighter on hand (recipie below) so you can quickly treat a stain.
The Basics of Coffee Stain Removal
1. Use a clean white cloth to blot up as much of the coffee as possible. As the cloth absorbs coffee, use a different section of the cloth.
2. Pour a small amount of cold water onto the coffee stain. Use this to dilute the coffee.
- Use a new clean white cloth and continue to blot up all of the liquid.
- Blot from the outside intowards the middle to not increase stain size.
- Repeat process at least twice depending on the size of the spill.
3. Mix up the secret stain removal solution in a bottle or jar:
- 1 teaspoon mild detergent
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 quart warm water.
4. Vacuum over stain. Repeat steps 1-4 as necessary to make sure all coffee is removed.
Tips for Coffee Stain Removal
- As with all stains, timing is essential. Treat the stain right away and at a minimum, soak up as much of the liquid as possible.
- If you are in a hurry, you can apply a slightly modified version of the stain fighter above. Mix together a paste of baking soda and water. Apply directly to stain, and work in gently with fingers. Allow to dry while you are at work, and vacuum when you return. Be sure to keep pets away from the baking soda mixture.
- If you are dealing with an older stain, then it is best to do the following:
- Sprinkle stain with a little bit of water.
- Sprinkle salt on top of the stain.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes then vacuum up.
If everything you try fails to remove the stain, it is time to reach out to ServiceMaster Clean with any questions or to schedule an appointment. We back our work up with 60+ years of industry expertise and a passion for excellence and customer service.
P.S. Maybe you didn't spill coffee, but spilled wine instead? Head over to our blog post on 4 Easy Steps to Wine Stain Removal!
Solutions offered by ServiceMaster Clean: