One of the leading causes of house fires is unattended cookware. From the years 2012 – 2016 the U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 355,400 home fires. At ServiceMaster by Ayotte, we are dedicated to helping your family stay safe. We have a few tips to share with you on some preventative methods you can take to avoid a fire disaster in your home:
7 Steps to Prevent a House Fire:
- Test your smoke alarms regularly
- Never leave food unattended while you are cooking.
- Clean out the lint trap on your dryer and make sure to get regular maintenance checks of vents in case of blockages or build-ups.
- Keep your cords tidy and well maintained. Frayed or damaged wires are a significant fire hazard. To help prevent fires try to keep cords out from under rugs and between walls and furniture.
- Make sure your grills and propane tanks are at least 10 feet away from your home and are never stored inside.
- Smoke outside the house as much as possible (if not all the time) and adequately extinguish cigarettes. "Cigarette fires cause close to 1,000 deaths and 3,000 injuries each year in the united states, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). As the ignition source in fires responsible for over 20% of all fire deaths, cigarettes are the nation's largest single cause of such deaths" (NFPA).
- If you have a wood fireplace or stove, remember to keep a cover over it when burning, mesh or glass. The sparks and logs that could fall out are very hot and could start a fire. It is also essential to have your chimney checked/cleaning annually.
ServiceMaster by Ayotte is here to help your family. With these few tips, we hope you and your family stay safe. However, remember, large or small, we clean it all! If the unforeseen happens, call on the quick response of ServiceMaster South Metro, Faribault and Owatonna at 877-945-0993. Our emergency call center is prepared to handle your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.