We’ve all heard the adage “The best defense is a good offense” and never is that more true than when it comes to preventing water from getting into our homes and places of business.
Water damage is the second most frequently filed insurance claim in the U.S. and even small defects can cause big problems. Did you know that something as small as a 1/8” crack in a pipe could result in a loss of 250 gallons of water in one day?
Our first thought when it comes to water damage is to blame Mother Nature, but she’s often not the cause. Things like overflowing sinks and discharge from dishwashers can just as easily be the culprits.
The good news is 93% of water damage can be prevented.
Here are a few water damage prevention tips:
- Have a plumber inspect your water heater at least once a year.
- Make sure everyone in your house – including the kids – know how to turn off the water supply to appliances, bathroom fixtures, and the house.
- If you notice small wet spots near your plumbing, pay attention. Keep an eye on it and if it persists, call a professional to look at it.
- Hoses on washing machines, dishwashers, and icemakers are inexpensive. Replace them as soon as you notice wear.
- Stay in the room until your toilet finishes running – that way there is no chance it will overflow without your knowledge.
And, if you still experience water damage, call the professionals – the plumber to fix the issue and ServiceMaster by Ayotte to get you clean and dry.