Asbestos. Once marketed as a “magic mineral” it is now is an infamous public health menace. And, chances are if your home (or commercial building) was built before 1980, construction materials containing asbestos were likely used.
It was used in a variety of products because it was cheap and easy to source from North American mines. Manufacturers used this naturally occurring mineral in a myriad of products, including:
- Insulation (vermiculite)
- Roofing shingles
- Textured paint and patching compounds
- Vinyl floor tiles
- Blankets and tapes used to insulate hot water and steam pipes, and
- Various other materials that needed to be fire retardant
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind if you think you may have asbestos containing materials in your home:
- No matter what anyone tells you, unless the product is clearly marked, you cannot determine if something contains asbestos just by looking at it. Contact a trained professional to come to your home or place of business to collect a sample.
- Not all asbestos needs to be removed. Sometimes it is best to leave it undisturbed. Asbestos is a health risk when it becomes airborne. Again, contact a certified asbestos abatement professional to evaluate your situation.
If you are interested in having samples taken, ServiceMaster by Ayotte contracts with certified professionals in the area and can facilitate your testing or removal. Call us at 507-366-7149 for more information.